Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The State Capitol

(prompt: write about a place)

Everyday there is free food here. They set up little tables with cardboard presentations, like a science fair. Someone stands next to the table with a big cheesy smile and a pamphlet or a little rubber bracelet with something you should pay more attention to written on it. “When I first started working here, I gained 30 lbs.” the Senator told me as we went searching for the barbecue on the third floor. “Now I take some for now and wrap up some for dinner.” As I load up my plate, I wonder how many votes have been changed by good barbeque or a pamphlet. I wonder how much money is spent feeding all the capitol employees when there are people starving just a block away. I wonder how any of these legislators can call themselves Representatives, when it seems they don’t represent any of the people I know. Then I go back to my office and enjoy my free lunch.

No comments: