Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Poem Baby




I said I wouldn’t eat sugar. Or ego, or light switches.
I wanted you to be healthy. Nourished from the curly,
fallopian straw of good language. For a while, I ate
only organic. Now I take whatever I’m craving.

Poppy rhymes. Clunky couplets. Half- strung synapses.
I wash down salty, abuse stories with crème soda love verse.
It’s amazing how many people rub my belly for good luck.
They can tell what you mean by the way I carry you.

My fist feels lighter when you leave me. Lonely really.
Open and bent from the duplication of cells, I don’t
pretend to know the divinity that goes into this process.
Just a happy vehicle. The names I give can’t contain you.

My kids are jealous. I don’t make you get your juice
by yourself. I’m happy to pull your pants up, kiss booboos
and talk syrupy to you. I prepare you for the day, send you
off and catch glimpses of your ancestors as you wave goodbye.



Note: I took this Poem a Day Challenge for April, thinking it would
end up a bunch of fragments and haikus. I was surprised at how much I was able to pull out and how many forms took shape that I never considered before. Writing without regard to performance was really fun. I loved especially reading the poems of other people who were taking the challenge and trying like hell to stay on par.
Now I have a little stash of poems I can go back and play with for National Editing Month! If you are looking for some great stimulation to get you writing. I suggest the Poetic Asides website: http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/

No comments: